Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Sostenuto

Perhaps the zither-banjo is for me after all. That somewhat-longwinded definition of the ZB mentions in passing that "the instrument was particularly suited for the slower type of solo where sostenuto could be employed." I had never heard of this word 'sostenuto', but it sure sounded like the way I play, so I got very excited and looked it up. Webster's online dictionary defines it as

"sustained... applied to a passage the tones of which are to be somewhat prolonged or protacted.."

I don't know what that sounds like to you but it sounds to me like the clawhammer stylings of a semi-amateur. I've always maintained that we semi-able have an advantage over consummate musical professionals in our potential to wring every ounce of beauty out of the simplest series of notes, even out of a single note. We bring Sostenuto to our every performance.

No comments: