Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Gravity's Banjo


It has been suggested that I adapt Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow as an opera, since Laurie Anderson cannot accept Pynchon's limitation that it be composed for solo banjo.

Since I wish it to be no secret that I am a lifelong fan of Ms. Anderson's oeuvre, I'd like to submit, in support of her desire to expand the musical palette, that we make a counterproposal to the effect that Gravity's Rainbow be composed for banjo and fiddle, a sibling match if there ever was one.

Speaking of sibling matches, those two look related, don't you think? Look at those eyes! Look at those noses! Look at all those beautiful shoulders! Thomas Pynchon! Have you got an illegitimate daughter? Is this the nature of your challenge? Sew a cambric shirt? Seed an acre between the salt water and the sea strand? Compose an opera for solo banjo? Reunite the daughter and the father? What are you afraid of, Mr. Pynchon? From whom are you hiding?

It's time to stop running, step out of the shadows and declare your paternity.

No comments: