Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Beckett's Banjo



I had a dream the other night
when everything was still
I dreamt I saw Sam Beckett,
a comin down the hill

I asked him where he headed for
He pointed with his pen
The ground ope'd up and he stepped down
It closed and shut him in

Oh Sam Beckett
I will not cry for thee
I know you're goin away from life
At last alone to be

I stood another moment
Though the eve was drawing nigh
And then I saw another one
Approachin by and by

A porkpie hat was in her hand
a tear was in her eye
Her name she said was Buster
Suzanne oh don't you cry

Oh Buster Keaton
(she said) Don't you cry for me
I'm takin you to Buckett Land
My true love for to see

I asked her why she came disguised
She fixed a jaundiced eye
T'was hard she said to love a one
Who longed so for to die

Buster Keaton runs upon the plain
And leaps around the sky
Buster Keaton's stuck with so much life
Enough for Sam and I

Oh Suzanna
I will not cry for thee
I know you've got your Buster-side
Your true love for to see

Oh Suzanna
I will not cry for thee
I know you've got your Buster-side
Your true love for to see

(with apologies to Stephen Foster)

No comments: