My absolute favourite. "The Banjo Player" by William Sydney Mount, 1830. The colours are washed out a little, but this was the best one I could find. I love the way he's dressed, I love his hat, his green hankerchief, the striped pattern to the lapels of his vest. Hat and vest are both striped and so it seems are his suspenders, peeking out from beneath the vest. But these are the subtlest stripes I've ever seen in a 19th Century image of a black entertainer. In Michel Pastoureau's popular history of the stripe, The Devil's Cloth, he pegs the 19th Century as the time when stripy fabric began to transform from a hallmark of slavery and confinement to one of freedom and youth. See, the expression on this player's face is the most beautiful part of this painting: He's playing for his own pleasure; no one else's.
And he could squirt water out from between his two front teeth better than anyone I know. If he so chose.
And his eyes are so skillfully painted that you can see into them even though they're dark brown. If you so chose.
One mystery: the ornament hanging low (near his waist, below the hanky) from a string around his neck. It's either a brass mouthpiece for a horn or else it's a boatswain's whistle. Can anybody tell me? Is he a sailor who plays the banjo?
And of course, there's the banjo itself. He plays it so delicately. Is he frailing? The placement of the thumb suggests to me that yes, perhaps he is.
Still, I need to know about that brass ornament.
Or does the ring on his left pinky mean that he's an engineer?

See I knew this was a good/bad idea.
1 comment:
What about some kind of wrench?
Post a Comment